Previously I’ve made some cakes on a sponge cake base, and couldn’t wait to try a thin, crunchy shortbread crust. So, following my sugarfree, gluten-free and dairy free vanilla sponge cake, now I have an eggless, vegan addition to my recipe collection. I hope you’ll enjoy!
Ingredients for a 18 cm round cake form (8 slices):
for the dough:
20g brown rice flour
20g buckwheat flour
20g corn flour
20g coconut oil + 20g butter*
1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon of stevia powder
1 small apple (approx. 100g whole)
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
*You can use 40g coconut il or butter alone, I prefer it this way.
for the filling:
150g coconut cream
1 tablespoon of starch (corn or tapioca)
sweetener to taste (I used a pinch of stevia powder)
approx. 50g raspberries for decoration
beans or baking weighs for baking
- Let’s start with preparing the dough. Roast the hazelnuts in a minigrill, dice and steam the apple.
- Mix the dry ingredients: flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Once the hazelnuts are done, rub off their brown skin with a kitchen towel, grind them and mix in with the flours.
- Now blend the wet ingredients: vanilla extract, coconut oil, butter with the steamed apple.
- Once the wet mixture has cooled, add it to the flours and mix well. Set aside the dough to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Grease the side of the baking form with coconut oil and sprinkle it with some rice flur. Cver the bottom with a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 160 C / 320 F.
- The apricot filling is ready in a minute: puree the apricots with a hand mixer or in a food processor, and start boiling it over medium heat. Once the excess water starts to boil off, and the puree starts to thicken, add the starch, sweetener of choice if needed, boil it once more and set aside to cool.
- Whip up the coconut cream, cautiously whisk it into the apricot puree, and your filling is ready.
- Now press the dough with your hands into the cake form to form a thin layer at the bottom and somewhat thicker wall on the edge. Cover with baking sheets and put some beans in the middle to press down the dough while baking. Bake at 160 C / 320 F for approx. 15-20 minutes, until the crust is done and turning lightly brown, but not too dry.
- Once the crust and the fruit filling have cooled down, just smooth the filling on the crust, and decorate with raspberries and almond slices. That’s all, your cake is ready to be served, enjoy!
This lovely cake that is also sugarfree, gluten-free, dairy-free and eggless, vegan, there are approx. 95g carbohydrates, which make for about 12g CH/slice. Only complaint on my side is that despite these nicely tiny numbers, it’s difficult to stop at the first slice… 🙂
If you like what you’re reading, please follow my posts any way you like (see upper left corner) or subscribe to my email updates!